The function of the department is in line with the general Public Service frame work for Appointment, Promotion and Discipline (APD) as well as budgeting and financial management.
The Department comprises two divisions viz:-
– The Division deals with issues of appointment, promotion, discipline, general services, staff welfare and training, as well as perform advisory functions.
Recruitment and appointments into the Health & Human Services Secretariat is done in conjunction with the Department of Human Resources Management of the FCTA.
The Division presently has the under listed Units:
• General Services
• Appointments & Promotion
• Staff Welfare & Training
• Store & Registry
– The Division functions in close relation with the FCTA Department of Treasury in matters relating to budgeting, staff salaries, funds disbursement and management.
It has the following Units:
• Final Accounts
• Other Charges
• Loans & Advances
• Drug Revolving Fund
• Fixed Assets.
The Division deals with issues of Appointment, Promotion, Discipline, General Services, Staff Welfare and Training as well as perform advisory functions. Recruitment and appointments into the Health and Human Services Secretariat is done in conjunction with the Department of Human Resources Management of the FCTA. The Division presently the under-listed Units:-
- Staff Welfare and Training
- Discipline and Transport
- Appointments and Promotion
- General Services
- Store and Registry.
REPORT ON ACTIVITIES OF STAFF WELFARE AND TRAINING (SWT) UNIT. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SECRETARIAT (HHSS)
A. ACTIVITIES/SCHEDULE OF DUTIES:
- Responsible for handling all matters relating to Training (both Short terms and Local Training).
- Staff Welfare issues: Retirement, Resignation etc.
- NYSC/IT Students Matters.
i) Processing of all Obituary/death benefits of deceased Staff; burial expenses
ii) Processing of retirement, resignation of appointment
iii) Processing of Name of next of kin
iv) Processing of Change of Name
v) Processing the payment of funeral benefits
vi) Posting of NYSC Members and Student on Industrial Attachment
vii) Processing of the payment of NYSC Allowances
viii) Processing of Medical Treatment Aboard
ix) Responsible for processing all matter relating Training Provision
This may include:
- Study Leave with or without pay
- Induction Course programme
X) Processing of Welfare Package for Staff
xi) Processing for replacement of loss of Personal File (PF)
Staff Welfare and Training (SWT) has an immediate challenge which includes:-
- Office Space
- Working equipment i.e Photocopier, Printers, Desktop etc.
- Office Furniture i.e Tables, Chairs, Cabinet etc.
ACTIVITIES OF DISCIPLINE AND TRANSPORT UNIT, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SECRETARIAT [HHSS]
A. ACTIVITIES/SCHEDULE OF DUTIES
- Responsible for handling all matters relating to discipline, investigations, issuance of query, preparations of briefs to the various Disciplinary Committees on disciplinary cases.
- Provides Secretariat for the HHSS Senior and Junior Staff Disciplinary Committees.
- Handles Anti-corruption matters.
- Handles transport and logistics matters.
- Any other ad-hoc assignments.
- All disciplinary cases in the Secretariat had so far been appropriately dispensed with and processed to Management for appropriate action.
- Only one outstanding case of abscondment
- A total of 95 vehicles[various kinds] for the Secretariat and Agencies
- 3Nos. vehicle [not functional] are in the FCTA Pool.
- Office space – very critical
- Working equipment i.e Photocopiers, Printers, Desktops, Laptopsetc
- Office furniture i.e Tables, Chairs, Cabinet etc
- Officers posted out of the Secretariat hardly hand over vehicles attached to them. This is seriously affecting job performance.
ACTIVITIES OF APPOINTMENT AND PROMOTION UNIT, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SECRETARIAT.
A. ACTIVITIES/SCHEDULE OF DUTIES
1. Responsible for processing all appointment matters.
2. Process transfer/merger of service, Leave of Absence and Secondment of service, Confirmation of Appointment.
3. Process up-grading, conversion and regularization of appointment.
4. Provide Secretariat service for the Department Management meeting.
5. Responsible for handling all matters related to promotion, identifying officer’s due for promotion and submitting brief on Promotion to Establishment & Training Department.
6. Any other ad-hoc assignment to be given.
- Compiles the list of eligible staff that are due for promotion annually to the Human Resources Department.
- All the issues for applications of employment are forwarded to the unit for processing.
- The Unit compiles all the Nominal Role for the Secretariat.
- Office spaceis a major challenge for the Unit.
- The unit lack basic working tools like photocopier, laptops, filing cabinets, desk, chairs etc.
- The Unit needs a UPS urgently.
REPORT ON ACTIVITIES OF GENERAL SERVICES (GS) UNIT
HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES SECRETARIAT (HHSS)
A. ACTIVITIES/SCHEDULE OF DUTIES.
The activities of the General Services (GS) Unit in any organisation cannot be over-emphasized. Its functions include but not limited to:
- Covering of minutes of Management Staff with all Medical Directors.
- Circulars, Memos.
- Liaison with all SDA’s, Federal Ministries, Parastatals and Extra-Ministerial Departments.
- Staff Movement: General Postings and Redeployment.
- Monitoring of Staff Register.
- Organising courtesy visits from Government and Non-governmental organisations for the Ag. Secretary, HHSS.
- Processing of settlement of Utility Bills and any other assignment
- Issuing letters of release for staff going on Training
The Unit has also achieved in the following areas:
REPORT ON ACTIVITIES OF REGISTRY UNIT, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SECRETARIAT (HHSS)
- ACTIVITIES/SCHEDULE OF DUTIES
The duties attached to each process in the Registry may vary, as warranted by the volume of work, but generally they Registry work are as follows:
- Supervisor: Supervising all in-coming out-going files
Overall supervision of both Registry works and personnel
- Receiving Clerk: To maintain the register of in-coming correspondence
- Dispatch Clerk: To take care of out-going/dispatch all circulars/mails/files to their appropriate destination
- Index Clerk: Responsible for opening of new files and indexing
- CHALLENGES: The Registry unit do not have good ventilation and right now the air-condition is not functioning
ACTIVITIES OF HHSS BUDGET DIVISION MANDATE
The Health and Human Services Secretariat (HHSS) Budget Division is a field office of the FCT Central Budget Office. Its core mandate is the preparation of both the Annual National Priority and the Statutory Budget as it applies to the Health and Human Services Secretariat.
The Division has the sole responsibility of collating and co-ordinating budget inputs/estimates of the Health and Human Services Secretariat and its various departments, agencies and units. It harmonises the budget estimates in line with Annual Budget call Circular, and makes presentation to Treasury Department for onward transmission to the National Assembly.
The Division equally has the responsibility of carrying out periodic monitoring of projects of the HHSS in the Six Area Councils of the FCT. This is to ensure the appropriate utilization of annual approved budgetary appropriation and releases as it applies to each project.
In addition to the above mandates, the Division processes approved payment files of the HHSS and its departments, to ensure that expenditure are appropriately charged and captured within budgetary limits.
The Budget Division also compiles weekly updates on vote book balances of the HHSS and its Departments, and submits same to the Secretary HHSS on weekly basis.
2. ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE OF HHSS BUDGET DIVISION
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF KEY OFFICERS
The Budget Division is headed by a Deputy Director, Mrs Joy Uzodinma who oversees the activities of the Division.
She is ably assisted by the following officers
- Chief Planning Officer, in charge of Recurrent Expenditures
- Chief Planning Officer, in charge of Capital Expenditures/Monitoring activities
- Assistant Chief Computer analyst, who collates budgetary inputs as submitted by the various Departments, Agencies and Units of the HHSS and maintains the data bank of inputs for proper storage and retrieval as the need arises.
- Environmental Officer1, in charge of recurrent expenditure vote books
- Chief Clerical Officer, in-charge of capital expenditure vote books of the Secretariat. (All above for purposes of Expenditure Control)
- A Youth Corps Member.
- Collating of annual budgetary estimates as it applies to both the National Priority and Statutory Budgets of the HHSS and its Departments/Agencies.
- Harmonising all the submissions and making presentations to the Treasury Department for onward transmission to the National Assembly
- Receives and processes approved payment files and ensures proper Budgetary Expenditure Control
- Periodic Monitoring of HHSS Capital Projects with particular reference to appropriate utilization of annual budget appropriations.
- Weekly update of Vote book balances of HHSS and its Departments, and submission of same to the Secretary HHSS.
- Liaising with the Central Budget Office of the FCT Treasury for updates on Budget matter
The major challenges of the Division are
- Lack of adequate office space
- Obsolete working materials i.e Photocopier, Lap-top computers, and Printers for Budget Preparation.
- Need for an additional Program Analyst and a secretarial staff