Department of Nursing Services
Department is responsible for policy formulation, regulates Nursing education and practice in FCT, as well as performs oversight functions on the FCT Schools of Nursing and Midwifery.
Specific functions of the department are to:
i. formulate policies that would encourage the provision of quality Nursing care services to the residents of FCT and its environs
ii. Ensure that Student Nurses/Midwives receive quality training to enhance optimum health care delivery in Health Promotion, illness Prevention, Alleviation of suffering and Restoration of Health.
iii. Provide continuing education for practicing nurses in FCT and its environs.
The Department has four major divisions namely:
i. Policy formulation/General administration, Accounting and budgeting
ii Nursing and Midwifery Education:- supervises the FCT Schools of Nursing and Midwifery
iii. Research and Statistics:- Mandatory Continued Professional Development Programme (MCPDP)
iv. Monitoring and Evaluation:- monitors Public and private Establishment
The FCT School of Nursing & Midwifery:
The School of Nursing and Midwifery are institutions devoted to training students who have the potentials to becoming Professional Nurses and Midwives.
The School of Nursing runs two (2) programmes:- Basic Nursing and Post Basic Nursing, while the School of Midwifery runs only the Basic Midwifery programme.
PROFILE OF NURSING DEPARTMENT
1. Hostel Block abandoned over years at a foundation level is 80% completion now.
2. Fumigation and decontamination of FCTA School of Nursing and Midwifery for Resumption in August.
3. Establishment of E-learning system in the School of Nursing & Midwifery
4. A well-equipped Family Planning training Centre was established in FCT.
5. In collaboration with Shop Plus Fifteen (15) Nurse/Midwives Educator were trained at State Level Family Planning
6. Identification and Closure of fake Nursing Centres by FCT Nursing/Midwifery Council Committee
7. Conducting a supportive Supervisory visit to Health Facilities in FCT e.g Nursing/Midwifery
8. Successful sensitization/training of Nurses and Midwives on covid 19 Management protocols. March – April, 2020.
9. The Hon. Minister admitted the first batch of Male Midwives in the School for Basic Midwifery Training in FCT March, 2020.