Department of Pharmaceutical Services
In line with its mandate, the Department of Pharmaceutical Services carries out the following functions:
- Regulating the practice of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians by ensuring that they are duly registered and practice legally
- Regulating the practice of all Public and Private Health Institutions which render Pharmaceutical Services in the FCT (Private /Public Pharmacies & Patent Medicine Vendor’s Shops)
- Monitoring and Evaluating Pharmaceutical Services in Public and Private Health institutions which render Pharmaceutical Services in the FCT (Private /Public Pharmacies & Patent Medicine Vendor’s Shops)
- Coordinating the recruitment, posting, training and promotion of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians in the FCT Administration.
- Training and supervision of all Intern Pharmacists in the FCT for the mandatory one-year programme.
- Ensuring availability of drugs that are safe, efficacious, affordable, and of good quality to the residents of the FCT through the Drug Revolving Fund (DRF) scheme at the ACMS.
- Enforcement of Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN) guidelines on regulation and control of professional practice as it affects drugs, medicinal products by the FCT Task Force on Counterfeit and Fake Drugs (FCT-TFC&FD)
- Establishment of framework of Regulations on the practice of Traditional Medicine Practitioner’s (TMP’s) in the FCT by ensuring that they get duly registered and practice legally.
- Ensuring that Traditional Medicines are safe, efficacious, affordable and of good quality to the residents of the FCT through adequate monitoring activities.
- To entrench Traditional Medicine standardization processes in the FCT/entrenching best practices with the TMP’s with regards to effective healthcare delivery.
- Ensuring the eventual establishment of the TM Board in the FCT to aid in advancement of TM development in the FCT.